About Us

Find out what we stand for

  • Company
  • About us

Böllinghaus Steel is your partner for stainless steel profiles

At Böllinghaus Steel, we look back with pride on a 130-year tradition in steel production. Founded in 1889 under the name Remscheider Walz- und Hammerwerke Böllinghaus & Co. KG, the traditional company is now successfully carried on by its fifth generation. Böllinghaus Steel is your specialist for hot-rolled and cold-drawn stainless steel profiles. According to international standards, we produce high-quality standard and special profiles for our worldwide customers.

Consistent customer focus and commitment to maximum quality form the focus of our operations. Whether for the chemical industry, mechanical engineering or medical applications − Böllinghaus Steel offers custom-made and precisely tailored products of certified quality.

We currently have over 250 employees in Germany, Portugal and the USA, making us the largest employer in the region around Vieira de Leiria, Portugal. Since 2016, we have also had a representative office in Chicago, USA. Personal, deeply human contact with each other is what defines our corporate culture − across cultural boundaries.

From left to right: Nina Härtel, Hartwig Härtel, Margit Koch, Antonio Perea

Our company history

  • 1889 - Hermann Diederich Böllinghaus founded a rolling mill in Remscheid for the production of file steel and later also profile steel for tool manufacturing. The company operated under the name of Remscheider Walz- und Hammerwerk Böllinghaus & Co.
  • 1912 - After the death of the founder, his brother-in-law and long-time authorized signatory Johann Ludwig Härtel took over the company.
  • 1913 - The brothers Alfred and Erich Härtel managed the business together and invested in the future.
    In 1917 Erich founded the company Stabstahlgesellschaft Remscheid.
  • 1943 - Alfred Härtel Junior was introduced to the management by his uncle Erich at the age of only 25. In this position, he was later to shape the development of the company with foresight for almost six decades.
  • 1991 - Alfred Härtel handed over the management of the company to his son Hartwig. In 1996, the Portuguese rolling mill in Vieira de Leiria was taken over and production relocated to Portugal.
    The plant in Remscheid was closed in 2001.
  • 2012 - Nina Härtel, daughter of Hartwig and Marion Härtel, took over the marketing department. She has now been a managing partner since 2018.